Sighisoara is considered to be the most beautiful and
well preserved inhabited citadel in Europe,
with an authentic medieval architecture.
In Eastern Europe, Sighisoara is one of the few,
and in Romania the only fortified town which is
still inhabited. The town is made up of two parts.
The medieval stronghold was built on top of a hill
and is known as the "Citadel" (Cetate).
The lower town lies in the valley of Tarnava
The houses inside Cetate/Sighisoara Citadel show
the main features of a craftsmen's town. However, there
are some houses which belonged to the former patriciate,
like the Venetian House and the House with Antlers.
"The House with Antlers" has been brought into the
possession of the Messerschmitt Foundation with
the help of the Romanian Government and the
town council of Sighişoara in April 2000, defrauding
the legitimate heirs, the descendants Leicht-Bacon
(with English roots), who are mentioned in the cadaster
of Sighişoara as owners before the communist
dispossession of 1950.
In 2001-2003 the illegal construction of a Dracula theme
park in the 'Breite' nature preserve near Sighişoara was
considered but ultimately rejected, due to strong
opposition of local civil society and national and
international media as well as politically influential
persons, as the theme park would have detracted
from the medieval style of the city and would have
destroyed the nature preserve.