.....Yes, this is Cluj, the capital of Transylvania.
Cluj-Napoca, located in the central part of Transylvania, has a surface area of 179.5 square kilometres (69.3 sq mi). The city lies at the confluence of the Apuseni Mountains, the Someş plateau and the Transylvanian plain. It sprawls over the valleys of Somesul Mic and Nadas and, to some extent over the secondary valleys of the Popeşti, Chintău, Borhanci and Popii rivers. The southern part of the city occupies the upper terrace of the northern slope of Feleac Hill, and is surrounded on three sides by hills or mountains with heights between 500 metres (1,600 ft) and 700 metres (2,300 ft). The Someş plateau is situated to the east, while the northern part of town includes Dealurile Clujului ("the Hills of Cluj"), with the peaks, Lombului (684 m), Dealul Melcului (617 m), Techintău (633 m), Hoia (506 m) and Gârbău (570 m). Other hills are located in the western districts, and the hills of Calvaria and Cetatuia (Belvedere) are located near the centre of city.
The former Markplatz square obtained its right to held markets in 1520, but it has been the place for annual markets since 1364 being visited by merchants from the country and abroad. The houses surrounding the square speak of a rich history. A pillory, in the middle of the square, was used as a means for public humiliation, punishment and scorn. Witches were also punished here, but the head of the shoemaker guild, Stefan Stenert, who opposed the entry of the Austrian army into Brasov, was also beheaded here in 1688. Till 1892 there have been two wells in the square. The most important building in the square is the Council House, which was built in 1420 and is located in the middle of the square.
The Old Town, including the Black Church and main square or Council Square (Piaţa Sfatului), features medieval buildings in different architectural styles. Around the main square you can find the picturesque pedestrian-only Republicii street, the Black Church, former Council House, indoor and outdoor terraces and restaurants, the Orthodox Cathedral, Mureşianu's House, the Hirscher House and more. On Tâmpa Hill, located on the southern side of the city, there was a citadel called Brassovia, and the remains can be seen there today, along with the Weavers tower and the cable car station going up to the top of Mount Tâmpa.
enjoy oriental design, western music
and universally valued good drinks.
Step into the Ramayana Universe to
enjoy some of the finest things in life.
The cafe is located in Bucharest on the
Baldovin Parcalabul street, nr. 11.
It is open 24/7, so whenever you want
a piece of quiet and intimacy,
this is the place to go.
Dreams of a better life often end in a brothel
for the victims of human trafficking, with the
people smugglers and slave traders who bring
them there making a lucrative living from
Protecting trafficking victims' human rights in the
destination countries before and after they get away
is one of the topics the Organization for Security and
Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) is looking at during a
human trafficking conference beginning in Helsinki
some estimate as high as 10,000. Boys and girls
who plague the cities streets begging by day and
filling their nights sniffing glue to erase the pains
of hunger and abuse that shrouds their lives.
Young boys and girls, some only mere toddlers,
who often fall prey to sex tourists and traffickers.
"Hey, tourist, leave those kids alone !"
- The Antim Monastery is located in Bucharest, Romania
- It was founded in 1713 by The Metropolitan Antim Ivireanu
- Antim Ivireanu was a poet, miniaturist and orator
- Bucharest is the capital city and industrial centre of Romania
- Antim is a fortified monastery, surrounded by a high wall with defence tower
- The monastery was built by Neagoe Basarab in 1517
- In the neighbourhood of the monastery we find the Fountain of Manole
- Manole was the craftsman that decorated the monastery legend says he fell from the roof
- The monastery comprises a church, chapel (St Nikolai), residential and farm buildings, a farm and a holly spring
- On a platforum in the middle of the yard is situated the magnificent monastery church
- The monastery is declared a monument of culture
To see someone lying there dead
makes us sad right ? Not this time !!
These are good pictures for Romanians.
It was the end of the desperation this disgusting animal brought to our people !!
Murderer, child killer, rapist, con man, liar, thief, guilty of genocide, bully, torturer !!
May his soul stay in hell forever along with that of his wife Elena !!
The tricolor of Romania with the communist insignia ripped from the middle became the symbol of the Xmas Revolution 1989 and still is to this day !!
Hai Romania !!
ripped from the centre quickly became
he symbol of the "Revolution"
The Nuclear Power Plant in Cernavoda
(Romanian: Centrala Nucleară de la Cernavodă)
is the only nuclear power plant in Romania.
It produces around 20% of the country's electricity.
It uses CANDU reactor technology from AECL,
using heavy water produced at Drobeta-Turnu
Severin as its neutron moderator and water from
the Danube for cooling.
By using nuclear power, Romania is able to reduce
its greenhouse gas emissions by over 10 million
tonnes each year.
Welcome - Bine ati venit!
Welcome to the National Museum of Art in Bucharest.
Romania's leading art museum was founded in 1948 to
house the former Royal Collection along with those
of various other museums in the country's capital.
The aim of the museum is to provide a comprehensive
view on Romanian art from the early Middle Ages
to the present, in as broad an European context as
Built in 1720, an inn, which provided income for the monastery and its surrounding buildings, functioned here until the end of the 19th century, when it was demolished along with the other structures. Designed by architect Ion Mincu, the building that now stands in the church precincts was erected in the early 20th century.
Within the monastery precincts there is a library, a refectory, where conferences are sometimes held, and also a collection of old religious objects, many of which are from churches demolished during the communist regime.
Those who abide at Stavropoleos Monastery not only pray but also work and study. They restore old books, vestments and icons, make embroidery, translate books, edit old music on computer, computerise the library.
The Pannonian Plain is a large plain in Central Europe that remained when the Pliocene Pannonian Sea dried out. It is a geomorphological subsystem of the Alps-Himalaya system.
The river Danube divides the plain roughly in half.
The plain is divided among Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia and Ukraine.
The plain is roughly bounded by the Carpathian mountains, the Alps, the Dinaric Alps and the Balkan mountains.
Although rain is not plentiful, it usually falls when necessary and the plain is a major agricultural area; it is sometimes said that these fields of rich loamy loess soil could feed the whole of Europe. For its early settlers, the plain offered few sources of metals or stone. Thus when archaeologists come upon objects of obsidian or chert, copper or gold, they have almost unparalleled opportunities to interpret ancient pathways of trade.
The precursor to the present plain was a shallow sea that reached its greatest extent during the Pliocene, when three to four kilometres of sediments were deposited.
The plain was named after the Pannonians, a northern Illyrian tribe. Various different peoples inhabited the plain during its history. In the first century BC, the eastern parts of the plain belonged to the Dacian state, and in the first century AD its western parts were subsumed into the Roman Empire. The Roman province named Pannonia was established in the area, and the city of Sirmium, today Sremska Mitrovica, Serbia, became one of the four capital cities of the Roman Empire in the 3rd century.
Originally a fishing village, Gura Portitei (Port) is known today as one of the most withdrawn (and quiet) tourist destinations on the Romanian coast, an alternative to Vama Veche, became too popular and crowded in recent years. Access is usually with vaporaşul, from Jurilovca Tulcea with special vehicles can be reached on the coastal road, or Vadu, Constanta on the Periboina or from St George, Tulcea.
The name was linked to the existing initial communication between Golovita lake and the Black Sea, closed in the 70s, which turned Golovita in a closed lake, with water being desalinated. The Lake connects with the North Lake Razim (free) and south of Lake Sinoe, through a system of locks. The area is a part of the biosphere reserve Danube Delta.
The Cucuteni culture, better known in the countries of the former Soviet Union as Trypollian culture or Tripolie culture, is a late Neolithic archaeological culture that flourished between circa 4500 BC and 3000 BC in the Dniester-Dnieper region and in the modern-day Romania, Moldova, and Ukraine.
The culture was named after Cucuteni, Iaşi county, Romania, where first objects associated with this culture were discovered in 1884 and excavations started in 1909. In 1897, similar objects were excavated in Trypillia (Трипiлля; Russian: Trepolye), Kiev Governorate, Ukraine. As a result, the culture has been known in Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian publications as Tripolie culture or Tripolian culture. A compromise name is Cucuteni-Trypillia.
The largest collection of artifacts of Cucuteni-Trypollia culture can be found at the museums of Russia, Ukraine, and Romania, including the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg and the Museum of History & Archaeology in Piatra Neamţ.
The Cucuteni culture has been called the first urban culture in Europe. The Trypollia settlements were usually located on a plateau, fortified with earthworks and ditches. The earliest villages consisted of ten to fifteen households. At their heyday, settlements expanded to include several hundred large adobe huts, sometimes with two stories. These houses were typically warmed by an oven and had round windows.
Agriculture is attested, as well as livestock-raising, cattle mainly, but goats/sheep and swine are also evidenced. Wild game is a regular part of the faunal remains. The pottery is connected to the Linear Pottery culture. Copper was extensively imported from the Balkans. Extant figurines excavated at the Cucuteni sites are thought to represent the Mother goddess.
Four of the more intricate eggs are painted on real eggshells of which the egg yolk and egg white were previously extracted with the help of a straw or a syringe. Three other eggs are decorated with coloured glass beads glued to the shell and one other (with prevalent greens) is painted on wood.
This technique is typical of the eastern Carpathians of Bucovina and Southern Poland, to a lesser extent as they have a majority of Roman Catholics rather than Orthodox christians.
The eggs are held in a Transylvanian ceramic soup plate.
NOTE: This style of Easter eggs decoration is typical of the Eastern Carpathians province of Bucovina in Northern Romania. You will find that, like in most of Old Europe, wars were waged, land was grabbed by invaders and borders changed according to the whim of the victors and in defiance of the local population and its identity.
This is how, the Northern half of Romanian-speaking Bucovina is, since WWII, in Ukraine, hence the term of "Ukrainian eggs" ascribed to the same style of painted eggs. Before WWI this province was part of the Habsburg Empire and 200 years earlier it was part of the Principality of Moldavia (present-day Romania).
The painted eggs are very much in the tradition of christian Orthodox believers that is of Romanians, Ruthenians (Hutzuls) and Ukrainians.
While entering Romania from Ruse, Bulgaria, that's
the first thing you see: The destroyed industry of Giurgiu.
After having seen it, close quickly the window, as a desinfection
liquid is splashed at the whole train.
Turn your back, as everybody else did on this place !!
The Heroes' Cross, monument located atop Caraiman Peak
Elevation: 2,260 metres (7,414 feet)
Range: Bucegi Mountains, Southern Carpathians
Coordinates: 45°24′22.21″N, 25°29′51.72″E
The Caraiman Peak is a mountain peak located in Romania, in the Bucegi Mountains of the Southern Carpathians. It has a height of 2,260m. The nearest town is Buşteni.
The Heroes' Monument
Atop Caraiman peak lies the Heroes' Cross, a memorial of World War I. It was erected between 1926 and 1928, at the initiative of Queen Maria of Romania. The material needed for construction was carried up using a funicular, as well as carts carried by oxen. The monument's height is 29.5 meters and the arms' length is 14 metres.
The cross is lit at night using 300 x 500W bulbs. Until 1939, the lighting installation was powered by an electric generator located inside the base of the monument and was made up of only 120 bulbs. In 1939, it was connected to the national electrical network.
Bucharest - National Bank of Romania - Reception Hall (New Wing, 1930's).
The old palace of the National Bank of Romania was erected before 1900. Soon it became clear that an extension was needed behind the old building. A new wing was planned in 1937 and it was connected to the old wing.
With the façade on Doamnei Street, the new wing of the NBR Palace was built during World War II, after having laid the foundation stone back in 1937.
The construction works carried on between 1942-44 under the direction of architect Ion Davidescu assisted by two other architects, Radu Dudescu and N. Cretoiu.
The building is emblematic of the neo-classical style with rationalist influences that prevailed in the inter-bellum period. It impresses by the monumental granite stairs, the huge Corinthian columns forming the façade, and the large, white marble-coated halls such as the one above.
If ever you find yourself in Bucharest you just have to go and see this building. It is so beautiful it will take your breath away.
2002 and here, again in 2008.
It looks a bit old and run down, but locals
will not let anyone touch it.
It is situated at the tripoint of Romania-Hungary-Serbia.
If you sit at the bottom of this sign and wrap
your legs around it, you will actually be in
three countries at the same time !!