Romania's President Traian Basescu (Left) visits
Siluan Manuila, the bishop of Saint Nicholas Cath-
edral, in Gyula, about 240 km (150 miles) east of
Budapest, February 3, 2009. Basescu is on a two
-day official visit to Hungary.
The first recorded reference to Gyula was in a
document dated 1313.
To the east of the town centre stands the old fort-
ress (13th century), now a cultural centre and a
tourist attraction. Nearby, there are thermal spas
known for their therapeutic effects.
In Gyula one may admire "Nicolae Bălcescu"
High School designed by Szabó Jen. The archi-
tecture resembles that of Transylvanian wooden
churches. Not very far is the Romanian Orthodox
Cathedral, erected in 1867.
Gyula is home to Hungary's second oldest cake
shop, and has a town centre comprising numerous
small pedestrianised squares, many of which have
large water fountains.